Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lemons

The old adage goes "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade."  Then some clever and fun loving person changed it to "when life gives you lemons, make a lemon martini."  Well screw that, I want the Ritz Carlton Famous Lemon Pound Cake with a blueberry compote. I made it over the summer and it was amazing!!!  Here is the recipe I came across while browsing pinterest.  http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/10/lemon-pound-cake.html  and then drizzled, topped or smothered in this http://www.two-tarts.com/2011/07/blueberry-vanilla-compote.html  Most excellent when paired. Go all out and put some fresh whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream with it too.

The problem?  I decided to take part in the six-sister's stuff 8-week Get Healthy Challenge.  http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/01/8-week-printable-weight-loss-get.html
Not only did I commit myself to this challenge but I am the lead person in our mini Facebook group.  In this challenge you are supposed to forego sweets for six out of seven days in the week.  And I know I shouldn't eat a full cake in one day.  And I am too competitive to let the points go and eat the cake over the course of a week.

Normally I allow a few calories for sweet treats.  This is my favorite recipe that comes in at only 74 calories a cupcake: http://sweet-verbena.blogspot.ca/2011/08/pumpkin-muffins.html  these are so tasty and you can freeze them a defrost when the sweet tooth hits.  But instead of these, and instead of that delicious lemon pound cake, I turn to peanut butter.  I finally broke down and bought some sugar-free pudding.  I am trying to resist these as well because I don't want to get into the habit of eating them everyday.

But let's get back to the cake.  Ever since I received the news and the deadline to a life changing situation, I have wanted to binge.  On sweets, on salty treats, whatever I can find and most definitely I want to bake cake after cake after cake and eat them too.  So I am very thankful of my transformation in the last year.  While I don't always have self control around food, I am 85% better.  I haven't binged, only dreamed.  Dreamed about warmer temperatures, dreamed about getting a job in Disneyland and dreamed about eating lemon and blueberries in sweet tasting bliss.

This is me
(heading out to see the Lion King on stage)

No comments:

Post a Comment